MONTHLY GOALS: APRIL | KANATA, OTTAWA MATERNITY, NEWBORN & COUPLES PHOTOGRAPHER
On April 1st we celebrated our daughter’s second birthday and once again I was reminded how quickly the time is actually flying by. I still remember, so vividly, the day she was born, the day our greatest adventure yet begun and everything changed. Moving to another country, leaving everything behind across the Atlantic Ocean, and then becoming a mother a couple years later has challenged me in so many ways. I went through moments of bliss, that were replaced by fear and the unknown. I had to find answers in terms of where do I fit in; who am I as a woman; and what is next for me. I was exposed to so much information and so many opportunities I never knew existed before, and thus I wanted to do it all. I was scared to miss out. I wanted to be the best at everything.
One of my favourite quotes say:
“You can do anything, but you can’t do everything.”
So of course, only after putting myself through a burn out, severe symptoms of depression, and days I couldn’t make a single decision, I finally understood and accepted that.
I also found that the best solution to prevent my life from becoming even more chaotic and overwhelming was to minimize and set goals. Write them down everywhere, multiple times, over and over again, until I managed to stay focused on what really matters to me. Now, every day, I try to expose myself to my goals and focus points so I can continue taking steps towards moving forward, bettering myself, my relationships and growing my business.
That said, I decided to start “MONTHLY GOALS” series where I share some of my PERSONAL and BUSINESS goals each month to motivate and inspire you as well to find focus and persistence accomplishing them. Also, I’m doing this for accountability reasons. I still fail more times than I would like to. I realize, though, that it’s a part of growing, changing, adapting and finding ways that work. Maybe these monthly posts will be one of those things that make a positive impact!
So, without further ado, here are my focus points in April:
1. Listen and catch up on a few podcasts I love:
My Turquoise Home: The Podcast by my dear mama friend Melissa Yakaback!
The Ikonns by Alex and Mimi Ikonn
The Goal Digger Podcast by Jenna Kutcher
2. Design and order our family’s 2018 photo album (phone and camera photos included).
3. Find a new family doctor (I’m not “vibing” with my current one) and get a full check-up done.
4. Read one book a week. Current list:
Rachel Hollis - “Girl, wash your face”
Rachel Hollis - “Girl, stop apologizing”
Clara Hughes - “Open Heart, Open Mind”
Gennen Roth & Anne Lamott - “This Messy Magnificent Life”
5. Organize my files (paper & digital) and follow the filing system instead of dropping everything into one pile or on to the desktop, until it gets out of hand all over again.
1. Plan Spring Mini Sessions in May: find a location, get example images done, prepare a marketing plan, send an email to past clients and subscribers for a possibility to book them early, share the information with the rest of Ottawa.
2. Start my photo collection for CLICK PRO.
What is Click Pro?
Click Pro is a women’s organization of professional photographers and highly skilled artists whose work demonstrates creativity, vision, and artistic and technical excellence. From child and family photographers to wedding photographers, senior photographers, fine art photographers, and beyond, Click Pro is a community rich in talent and diversity. Our membership benefits are designed to cater to the artistic, social, and business needs of the professional photographers and artists within our community.) If you’re a photographer and curious to find out more - CLICK HERE.
3. Learn and practice Back Button Focus on my camera and see whether it’s making a difference in terms of my workflow and photo quality.
4. Continue studying the art of posing newborns and couples.
5. Blog at least twice a week!!! Whoop , whoop!
LONG TERM HABITS TO FOCUS ON THIS MONTH:
1. TIME BLOCKING - start with 4 hours a day 7 to 11pm.
2. GET MORE SLEEP - no screen time in bed.
3. Meditate and practice gratefulness by writing in “5 Minute Journal” daily.
What are you focusing on this month? What is your number one goal? I’d love to hear and get inspired by you!
If I had to choose, getting a full check-up done at the doctor’s office would be my number one goal from the PERSONAL goals’ list, because it’s been too long and I’m a worry wart. When it comes to health, my aim is to be proactive, instead of reactive.
And excelling at the art of posing newborns and couples would be my number one goal from the list of BUSINESS goals. I have quite a few sessions coming up in the next few months and I want to be better and more confident with posing than I’ve ever been!
SO LET’S DO THIS! Let’s conquer APRIL!